The Department for Education (DfE) confirmed last year that all primary schools would be receiving double their Primary Sports Premium for 2017/2018. This excess funding, following the compiling of the Childhood Obesity Plan, is to be allocated towards addressing and improving Whole School Health and not isolated toward sports and competition.
All state-maintained schools, academies, middle schools, special schools will receive the above mentioned funding. For the 2017/18 academic year at Falconbrook, we received a PE & Sports Premium of £18,290
At Falconbrook we believe that physical education and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment for young people to learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
As well as improving the quality and quantity of PE and sport in schools the funding is also aimed at increasing opportunities to participate in inter and intra school competitive sport, increasing professional development opportunities for teachers and developing and promoting healthy living and healthy lifestyles for children through their engagement in regular physical activity.
How do we use the Sports Premium Funding?
- To increase the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity.
- To maintain the high profile of PE and Sport across the school and use it as a tool for whole school improvement.
- To increase participation in inter and intra competitive school sport.
- To increase the confidence, knowledge and skills of all children and staff in leading and teaching PE & sport.
- To provide a broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
More information on our plans, spending and the impact of the funding can be found here